Most people only call a heating service repair person when their heating system breaks down. But befoe you turn up th heat, have your system serviced first.
At the very least, a heating contractor should:
- Check thermostat settings to ensure that the heating system turns on and off a the right temperatures.
- Tightena electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors.
- Lubricate all moving parts.
- Inspect the condensation drain in your furnace.
- Check system controls to ensure safe operation.
- Show you how to correctly change your air filter.
- Check all gas or oil connections, gas pressure, burn combustions and heat exchanger.
What can you do yourself?
- Change air filters monthly.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – they can save on heating and cooling bills, and the wear and tear of your furnace.
- Seal cracks. Caulk or weatherstrip any gaps in your home.
- Clean Registers – make sure heat registers are clean and free of foreign objects.
- Keep the area around your furnace clean and unobstructed.
From Fidelity Natonal Home Warranty Newsletter